Wednesday 11 February 2015

Official Training 3: Bukit Saga Ampang Hike

This is a long overdued entry. It has been a week after the Mount K Mission by now. So do bear with me...

We wanted to take it up a notch this week. Especially after knowing that another friend was also going, I couldn't stand anything less. After much discussion about the permit issue, suitable time (Qaid's karate session is on Saturday morning, so any activity for Saturday can only start after 10), no expert to guide us and Adrin's shoulder issue, we have decided to put Tabur hike's plan till later.

Saga has been on my mind before. But after reading that it is only a mild hike, I didn't suggest it to the team. Finally, after much browsing, Pet also suggested the same, and considering the above issues again, Saga is the best option for us.

Friday after work, since hubs suddenly mentioned that he might be ok to bring Qaisar along again, I straight away went to get a new Soft Structured Carriers (SSC) after work. Decided only during my drive home, browsed the ipad for any available collection at Fabulos Mom. Nothing much was on the website and decided to give them a call, and they had quite a few in stock. Quickly diverted my journey back right on the spot. I was lucky, there was only 1 that matches my criteria. Cheap (less than 300), good support and padded. I bought it without much further thought. Having Qaisar along with me is of utmost importance.

Due to previous week's slight mishaps, we prepared it quite early this time. Headed towards the waterfall, we certainly needed some picnic again. Had something quite simple this time, which was spaghetti goreng, which the hubs also approved of. Although there was slight delay still (we left home about 10.10 or 10.15, it was not too late still and Qaid was happily playing still despite picking him up quite late.

Since the venue is near Aeco Technologies (Garmin authorised distributor in Malaysia), we decided to stop by as I really need to get myself the heart rate monitor watch already. Been putting it off since forever. Was meaning to just reuse my old HRM strap, but I sold the old watch off, so the hrm had to go off as well. And now, with the pregnancy on, the more reason I need to be wary about my heart rate condition. So that used up a bit of time as well.

So we got to the venue a bit late. And we had no idea where we supposed to go actually. So we had to google for the exact spot now. Lucky Pet's car was the same as well. The entrance is like this (courtesy of google image, thanks kampungtoys blog owner):


I got very minimal pics of my own, as I had accidentally left my phone in the car. It would be of less help anyway.

It was only a very brief flat trail. After that it was stairs all the way. It looks like this throughout the 45 to 1 hr up, depending on your pace. Hubs heart rate went as high as 160 plus. Talking about his heart rate, yes, he doesn't have any heart rate monitor watch. But since he started to worry about his heart condition, I let him wear mine, just so he has some ideas on his actual heart rate at any particular effort level. Especially while lugging the baby around.

So the total outcome of the climb is as follows:



  • It was not as easy as I had earlier thought.
  • I had purposely tried to avoid getting the team go to Bukit Saga since I don't think it will give us enough challenge. We were challenged with last week's hike, so we needed the hike to be much more challenging.
  • It was stairs all the way up. Stairs is good in the sense that it ease up your journey without having to maneuver  the trails on your own, but it's bad cos it means it's going to be steep.
  • All in all, of course it was not a tough hike, but it sure wasn't Bukit Gasing level and may even exceed Broga level. 
  • On average the distance is around 2.5km one way, so distance wise it is much further than Broga.
  • There were huts along the way. Good to catch up your breath, but never stay put for too long.
We took the C trail without actually knowing which trail we were on. To us, C trail seemed tougher, although many says otherwise. We used A trail on the way back, it seemed to have milder stairs.

We spent quite sometime having some of our packed lunch at the peak. Which may be quite a mistake. Hubs had even wanted to turn back before proceeding further. I knew the journey can build up to 9 km, if we proceed straight to the waterfall. The path there was mild, it was mostly trails. You can even do a trail run there, but with a bag full of food, that is definitely not the case. But somehow, Pet suddenly stopped and turned back, whispering something. I couldn't actually get what she initially whispered. Qaid stayed on to see what was there. It was a wild boar, bigger than a dog's size. Without having seen the beast, I had secretly wanted to continue on of course. Hubs had definitely suggested to retreat. He's always the worried ones. To our disappointment, retreat we had. 

So we continued on our picnic back at the peak, finishing the rest of the food that we had. So a mission not fully accomplished. We will definitely come again for the waterfall next time.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Twincity 2019. "The Marathon". As of now.

So the months of hard work and life dream has finally broken. I have finally broken that 4:30 barrier, here in home soil, with few minutes t...