Wednesday 24 October 2018

UM24 2018

I was interested with the race concept of running around the track as much as you can within 6 hours. And it fits my criteria very nicely of being held at night time, children will be asleep and they will not be noticing your absence too much. And in the safety and close proximity of UM compound. So, to join I must.

I was not at my fittest self. And I didn't know that I was less fit then. I knew for sure that whatever I had trained for then, nothing worked. So I went ahead with the race with next to no expectation. Getting to run this race was more than enough.

The day time was very hot. Too hot that it was still very humid at night. There were not that many runners at the starting line. But there definitely was some runners still doing their 24 hour and 12 hour. There were a few familiar faces,, so felt quite at home a bit. But I definitely totally like the venue. UM always felt like home for me.




I tried to control my pace. Controlling easy paces at the start, tried to have my own race instead of others. But it wasn't too long. Heart rate shot up quite early on. I knew then that I took over quite few people. But I couldn't really keep up with Liza. She was doing 12 hours and her pace was much faster than mine still. She was fast and consistent quite early on.



Surprisingly, towards later the night, there were so many other runners came watching as well. Despite not being very close to them, the camaraderie that we had from seeing familiar faces was still there. I was cheered despite me being a total stranger to them. So it was fun.




As for the race organization, it was very organised. Sufficient food, drink, sponge placement. Your name was indicated on the table, so you can put your bottles and other necessary stuff. This was my 2nd looping ultra, so I wasn't totally anxious. And it was a good thing, because they had more than enough for us.

As I reached towards the 6 hour mark, I had no idea which position I was on. I tried to peep at the screen, but it was quite confusing. And being in a loop, I had no idea whether I was leading, in the middle or whatnots. My watched showed that it was about 47.8km. So, not something that you can be proud of. I was hoping that I could get a decent ultra: 50km or above. When I got the result, it was even worst. It was only just 3 km over marathon distance. So you can easily call it as, the lowest marathon ever. 6 hours for a marathon? That's just unforgiven.




I cannot remember at which point did I know my real position. And it was a real surprised. And I was elated after. My first ever being a champion. And it was when I was not at my fittest. Rezeki Allah works in mysterious ways. Happy, while not being too pleased. But bersyukur we must. At least there's a chance for you to stand on that podium.

There was no cash money, but I'm still consuming the free fish oil given up until now (1 year after the race). Again, rezeki Allah comes in many form. I would love to join it again sometime, to improve my previous time. But I guess this year is not the year.




UM24 (6 hours) 2017

Date: 21 October 2017
Venue: University Malaya Sports Complex
Distance: 6 hours
Position: 1
Official Time (Distance):45.217 km
Personal Time: 47.8 km
Pace: 7:32

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twincity 2019. "The Marathon". As of now.

So the months of hard work and life dream has finally broken. I have finally broken that 4:30 barrier, here in home soil, with few minutes t...