Tuesday 20 August 2024

Confinement Story Part 1

First drafted Sept 29, 2015.

***

Finally got posted Aug 21, 2024

***
Caution. This entry might contain some unnecessary and crude details.

I am actually half way through confinement actually (24 days as of the draft is first written. My post always take many days to be finished). I had no intention on putting a special notes on this, but somehow I think I should. Just solely as a personal recollection, so I can reflect how sweet, or suffering confinement was.

So confinement started right after discharged from hospital. While in the hospital, everything was normal and you don't feel the need for one. but the after labour contraction still trouble you, and at that point, but I was glad that I didn't have to resort to any painkillers this time. Maybe that's why I felt the post delivery abdominal pain more intense this time around. For those who doesn't know, the pain is from the uterine contraction, trying hard to get back to its normal form. Imagine from housing the baby, placenta and whatever is in there, to the little organ that it normally is. Other than that, there was no other unusual or extreme pain.

I have always worried about jaundice, ever after my first. Will always skip any herbs for at least the 1st week post partum. And so I did this time around as well. But to my surprise, Naela was clear from jaundice. She was cleared when discharged from hospital. There was no follow ups from hospital, so she could have had it while she was out, like Qays, but from the skin and the eyes, I know she didn't. She shouldn't even, with the B+ blood type, and untraumatic labour unlike the brothers. She was completely fine and healthy, Alhamdulillah, my prayers was answered. But problems will come during confinement no matter what. I had a severe and most intense constipation and hemorrhoid this time around. I never had as bad before, with the previous 3. Maybe cos I didn't take any laxative medicine as well. SJMC gave one at the hospital when I had Qaid. I can't remember whether the hospital gave any from Pantai when I had Qays, but I had definitely prepared my own chinese herb to ease my toilet visit. Qaisar's was at DEMC and DEMC is known to have provided duphalac even when in hospital, even when constipation hasn't emerged yet. So there was no food buildup that would make it worse. This time, I think maybe I was hopeful that things will be very ok, since I had an unvacuumed delivery. Little I know that constipation can still emerge for various reasons; diet and hormones. While my diet was fine, with constant fiber and fluid, I think the hormones is otherwise. The very next day after gotten out from hospital, I had the biggest constipation of my life. Seriously no kidding there. It was the first time that I cried while having my number 2. I may have had a bad experience myself when I had Qaid, but I quickly consumed the chinese herb, and it made u purge like no one's business. So the problem was not prolonged there. This time, I couldn't hold it in, it was just raging to come out. And I think nothing even come out, as I had decided that I had to contain it still. I couldn't press (and that's the only way to have it out) as I didn't want to ruin my stitches. I thought that some medication might do it. So I hold. And I had pushed hubs to go get me any medication possible. So he bought me both Duphalac and Dulcolax (this is the medicine that SJMC gave). It was not helping much as well. But I think the waste amount was so much in there, it had to come out.

Image result for duphalac

Image result for dulcolax suppository

Image result for dulcolax tablets 5mg

The thing with Duphalac is, it will soften your stool as you are taking them. If the stool is already in production, in your intestine, it cannot help much still. So the earlier stool that came out was as hard as the rock, and I think I literally mean this, the latter ones was softer. That's how I come to such conclusion for Duphalac. I think I cried the 2nd time that time, but at least that cry managed to end the misery at that time. The hubs shared with a doctor's friend, and the doctor shared that as much as possible, I should avoid consuming it, since my condition seemed to be not as bad and we want to protect our precious milk as much as possible. Any kind of medication consumed orally can somehow get into our bloodstream.  So she suggestion another medication, which is in the form of a cream, which is applied locally. I did that, and it didn't help with my next bowel movement. I consumed duphalac, it didn't help as well. I consumed dulcolax, also the same. Ok, another finding with dulcolax now is that, it also works about the same with duphalac. it only help while the stool is being processed. So to cut the story short, I was suffering again. I think I had my 3rd cry in the toilet, and this one worried me the most, cause I had checked on my wound, to see how it's doing there, and I think I saw a line of blood. So the cry didn't stop while at the toilet, it prolonged afterwards as well. And I cried like a baby, seriously. So much worry then, With my hemorrhoid, the constipation, now I have the stitches to worry for. I looked and looked over the net, and nothing seems to help much. What's being suggested so many times is to get the shaklee powder. Since I know that my confinement set of Nona Roguy will always ease the bowel movement, and since it was about 1 week already, So I consumed it. And that was the end of my misery. So in summary, no number 2 until 4th day post partum. 1st bowel movement on 5th day. 6th day found out that all the medication couldn't help. 7th day with the bloodline. 8th day, had to give in to Nona Roguy, which was the winner. I consumed around 5 pills at the onset I think and gradually reduced to 2 per intake. And I had regular, daily bowel movement since then. However, the tablet was only 90, and before confinement ends, the tablet had finished. I had to resort back to Duphalac and Dulcolax again.

It was very weird and surprising that my system couldn't get back to producing the normal stool even after many days post labour, and of course, despite numerous fiber and fluid. I had to be on something to ease that particular call of nature, else, nothing will come out and I couldn't take the chance of letting it build up. Delayed bowel movement means build up, build up means, it's going to be nasty. So I was back to consuming duphalac, which I had left after finding out that the Phytonatal worked for me. Once it was done, I continued on with Dulcolax. I tried delaying the intake, in order to see whether I can do the call of nature naturally, but it couldn't of course. This went on until after confinement was over. 7 weeks to be exact. I almost ran out of everything on the 7 weeks, and I was beyond happy that I managed to go normally on exactly 53 days. Yes it was such a big thing that I count up everything.

So that was it. Part 1 was about that big problem of my confinement, that I need to have a very detailed recollection of things. I was looking hard over the net when I had the problem, but somehow, since I didn't have any firm answer, I had to resort to a conclusion myself. Having undergone through the problem, this entry here, hopefully, will somehow help anyone out there who might be suffering the same problem as me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twincity 2019. "The Marathon". As of now.

So the months of hard work and life dream has finally broken. I have finally broken that 4:30 barrier, here in home soil, with few minutes t...