Wednesday 14 August 2024

King of Kg Kemensah 2019

31 Aug 2019

***

KoKK 2019, 3rd year running it, and I couldn't hold on to the 2nd position for my 30km

2019 was a tricky year. I registered less races. But things have been good in terms of training wise and fitness wise. I had the most mileage, longer session each runs and in turn, the fitness was at the peak as well. KoKK was held right after Eid, just 3 weeks after. It was good that I managed to log 2 decent runs of 20km and 21km. So fitness was minimally sufficient albeit it could have been better.

So I went in with minimal expectation. But since I was feeling quite good since the injury seemed to be gone, or barely noticeable, I had some slight expectation if things could be the same like last year at least. Last year's fitness was quite good though, since it was just few weeks after SCKLM 2018 and fitness was still about there. So it was quite a tough challenge to beat.

The week of KoKK was also fasting week. Took opportunity of supposed taper week for a slightly lesser weekday mileage. Which was not that less anyway. Had 12km just 2 days before the event. In retrospect, I didn't taper off the mileage, nor I had enough carbo going into the race. But that was the fun part. When it was not put as a key race, there was less stress and the run was enjoyable.

Just a few days before the race though, all my wireless listening device (except for the JVC headset though) decided to stop working. I had my 2nd Huawei Honor, just bought in fasting month, probably just a month old, and it had stopped working. All the old ones had stopped working as well. So I had to give in to a more reliable headset once and for all, yet again, the Jaybird Tarah. Bought it just the day before the race, with the heavy syawal weekend traffic. To make things worse, it was raining and the traffic conditioned were the worst ever.

The race also started earlier this year. Last year's 30km was held at 6:30 am, I didn't have any Subuh prayer problem. This year, it started at 5:30, not to mention the running in the dark challenge. After much contemplation (of whether to wait for the prayer, pray properly at the starting line and started the race later or, just start like everyone else and stop midway), I decided to just start with the rest, contain the wudhu, and pray as soon as you get to the first checkpoint.

So I had prepared all the normal gears which are known to be required by the organisers; heat blanket for both of us, get fresh batteries for the headlight, fill up the water, prep my telekung to name a few. I got everything mostly covered and made my way to the starting line. As the MC was giving some briefing, I thought of checking the headlight. My headlight did not turn on. I might have wrongly reinserted the used battery. Went back inside to try my luck if anyone had any spare batteries, asked a few but to no avail and out of nowhere, I saw Maza. I was in big luck. Asked for some batteries, she asked her brother to share his, but it didn't work. I then I asked for hers instead and ended up using hers. I got everything settled right before gun time, and managed to get back in line and started from quite some way behind.

I started a bit faster than I should in order to try to keep up with the front pack, and tried to give some buffer for the prayer. The azan started about 10-20 mins into the race. So the timing was quite about right. The first checkpoint was just not long after. I might have been the first to even stop for Subuh. It was done in a jiff. I was so anxious on getting back on track that I had hastily put on my shoe and skipped a very important process: Tying the shoe properly. I made that rookie mistake, the early 30s me did, that had costed me my toenails.

It was all good still. I slowly get back with the rest of the pack, in the darkness, catching up one after another at my comfortable pace. At that I was thinking, boy, these people really went fast. The track were already very muddy but still very much bearable. After a while, I got to be where it was a bit more comfortable and stopped overtaking too much. It was very dark. I tried so much not to be too far away from other runners for safety reason and for some guidance on the track ahead. The markers were clearly visible and properly indicated as well even in the dark. They used proper reflecting tapes to indicate the track. It was even much more visible compared to day time due to its reflectiveness. The track were not as tough at the early stretch, but it was quite blinding, I had no clue of where I was. The track then led to a steep downhill with its famous, beaten motorcycle track. It will be hard to maneuver yourself along this track. Very narrow banks on the side and deep wheel track in the middle. With minimal lighting. It was not that much into the race probably around 6km. I was following behind this lady runner. The lady seemed very competitive by trying to make sure that I would never overtake her. It was still very much early in the race, so I simply followed my own pace. I got to finally overtook her.

We got to the next checkpoint soon after. I had a refill and may have grabbed some food. The lady caught up and didn't stop long and continued on. I took that as indicator to leave as well. I was behind her for quite a while along with 2 more guys. We had about similar pace so I decided that maybe we should stick along. Especially good when one of the guys had hand torchlight, so it gave added visibility. Couldn't remember when but at one point, the lady seemed not able to keep up, and later on the other guy as well. So it was up to me and the guy with the torch. I like the pack, except for the lady. You can sense it when the pack welcomes you, or try to leave you. The pack here was welcoming. Too bad one of the guy couldn't keep up. I was with the torch guy for quite a long time. Until it got bright. And he finally broke the silence and we started to chat. He's a Sabahan and registered the race the very last minute. Would be joining SCKLM later. Has been joining BUTM etc. We ran together almost all the way towards Pondok Repin. The toughest stretch of the race. The track was nothing but upwards there. It was never ending and nerve wrecking. It was raining for a bit as well. Not too heavy, but enough to spoil the track with mud. My calf were affected the most from the constant climb. It was only a matter of time before cramping occurs.

I had to leave the torch guy when he had seemed to be slowing down, just some distance away from Pondok Repin. Met Aqwa who was steadily and strongly heading down. When I was very much close to Pondok Repin, saw 2 lady making their way down. It was the first time that I had some idea of where I was. I might have been 3rd. Once reached the Checkpoint, the volunteers informed that I was actually 2nd. The other lady runner is under the veteran category. That was a good one, considering I was crawling back up from the prayer break, and saw many people were actually upfront. But, while I was hoping that I could spend some time there, the lady, which was me from the start has caught up. She had a very brief break and continued on, like how she did at the 2nd CP. I was beaten at CP again. I had no way but to continue on as well. It was fun going down, my favourite. Although I really need to be careful with my ankle and my toes. I was mostly behind here for quite a while and I like it. It was fun trailing behind her like that, when she seemed to be struggling and I enjoyed pushing her. Had slight chat. She was struggling with her fascia as it turned out. Not too long after I had to overtake her as well, and she seemed to be letting me go. So I was on my own afterwards.

It was a very long way down, and my toes started to hurt. Really hurt. It was a very wrong move of not tying the shoe properly and I was paying it then. As if the hurt toe wasn't enough, the track were also very muddy and severely beaten by then. There was no way for you to walk properly, let alone run. It would have helped a lot if I had some poles with me.

I managed to catchup with 1 lady runner upfront after a while, around Lubuk Tedung. She was more welcoming than the earlier lady. I managed to be in front until Bukit Roket, the 2nd CP. While I was there, my arch nemesis caught up again. She couldn't give me a break at all, could she. But I managed to leave first. The other 18km participants were so helpful and asked other runner to leave some room for me. After that CP, it was all the common finishing leg of KoKK. Any where upwards, I would surely walk. And that has made the 2 ladies to finally caught up with me again, once and for all. I had given up my fighting spirit then. What was more important at that time, was for me to be able to find my own sustainable pace. The finishing was tough, even for the short about 2km tarmac section towards the finish. I was hoping that I could do better, but that was all I could.

The overall track was definitely tougher than the year before. Not only that distance wise was further, elevation gain was higher by 600m as well. My timing and pace in 2018 was 4:28:23 at 9:36. in 2019 it was 5:16:41 at 10:17. The early, in the dark start time was not helping with the timing as well. But it was a very good fun experience, running in the dark.

It was a competitive race, even with the champion runners from both category. The gap between me and the champion was a mere 5 minutes. The champion veteran was with me quite some time of the race. Good for her for being able to come back and caught up with the 2nd women open. The veteran got ahead of me just before we left for the tarmac section. She had enough buffer in her to push in the end definitely. Once finished


KOKK 30km 2019

Date: 30 June 2019
Venue: Kg Kemensah
Distance: 30 km
Position: 3
Official Time: 5:16:41
Personal Time: 5:16:41
Pace: 10:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twincity 2019. "The Marathon". As of now.

So the months of hard work and life dream has finally broken. I have finally broken that 4:30 barrier, here in home soil, with few minutes t...